Phone Us

British attitudes towards rental market changing, according to new survey

More people in Britain are now choosing to rent than ever before according to new research.

British Private Rental Market

More people in Britain are now choosing to rent than ever before according to new research.

A survey conducted by the Post Office’s Money Mortgages department has found that a large number of people in the private rental market are their through choice as opposed to waiting for the opportunity to own a home.


Of the respondents who do not own homes, 8% said that they preferred the freedom that they were afforded by not being tied to a single property, whilst 12% just did not wish to become homeowners, instead preferring to rent their property.


This indicates a significant shift in the mentality of those in the private rental market, as the flexibility of rental properties begins to outweigh the consistency of a privately owned home for 20% of the survey’s respondents.


Additionally, the survey highlighted the continued struggle that many feel in trying to get onto the property ladder. 17% of those asked felt they could not afford to cover mortgage payments, 28% said they would not be able to raise a deposit for a property, and a total of 45% believed that they would be completely unable to purchase their first property at any point in the near future.


These latest figures highlight the need for high quality rental accommodation as a shortage of properties available for rent in the UK continues.

X
Cookies on our website:
This website uses cookies.
I'm OK with this Cookie Settings ?